Any enthusiast biker understands the essence of better pedals. Having pedals that support your riding objectives is more significant. But you need not worry. BMX pedals are what you need. When buying a pedal, consider factors such as price, grip, durability, and weight.
Price is the key factor to put into consideration when buying a pedal. Low-priced pedals might malfunction despite having good features. On the other hand, high-priced pedals have excellent features such as lightweight and better performance. For you to get the best BMX pedals, you must be ready to invest more cash.
The majority of BMX pedals are made from stainless steel and nylon; hence they are sturdy and durable. They will serve you for a prolonged period, irrespective of any weather. BMX pedals also provide a better grip that is ideal for the rider’s safety. A pedal with poor grip is easy for your foot to slip, especially when it’s raining.
Top Picks : 5 Best BMX Pedals
Top 10 Best BMX Pedals Review
BMX pedals come with various features for your comfort riding. This article will review the best BMX pedals on the market to help you make a sound decision when purchasing pedals.
1. Imrider Lightweight Polyamide 9/16″ Inch Bike Pedals for BMX Road MTB Bicycle
The BMX pedal is ideal for those who want to get a quality pedal at a friendly price. The pedal is suitable for starters as well as pros and is the most popular metal BMX pedal. Imrider Lightweight pedals are compatible with almost all BMX on the market. They are made from nylon composite that makes them lightweight. The waterproof materials ensure long-lasting performance. It has sealed bearings that help to prevent any pedal axle damage and keep out the weather.
The hex-head threaded traction pins can be replaced and offer better grip and control. The pedals’ overall weight is minimal, thanks to the DU material washer, which reduces wear and tear. The rugged nylon fiber surface is shock-proof that helps to decrease the impact in case of anything.
- It features intricate spindles: The pedals are equipped with hard spindles to create a strong grip on the bike to prevent any possible disconnections from occurring.
- The product is made from high-quality polyamide. This feature makes the bike an excellent resistance to corrosion and abrasion, allowing you to ride it all you want despite the weather condition.
- Anti-skid nail surface: the bike’s pedals feature an anti-skid nail surface to ensure that your feet will not slip when riding the bike. It makes riding safer.
- The pedal comes with a large platform shape to make you feel comfortable when riding more miles than usual without getting tired.
- Wider platform size for long-ride comfort
- They have replaceable steel pins for better grip
- Anti-slip locking spikes
- Corrosion-resistant spindle
- Easy to install
- Lightweight but sturdy
- They are durable
- Sealed bearings for excellent stability and clearance
- The metal parts of the pedals are vulnerable to rust.
2. Crankbrothers Stamp Flat BMX/MTB Bike Pedal
Are you looking for a heavy-duty BMX pedal? Search no more. Crankbrothers Stamp Flat BMX/MTB Bike Pedal is an ideal choice for you. The pedal is worth investing in as it has a large platform with a thin profile for better pedaling control. The 9-replaceable hex pattern traction pins on every side help to offer an ideal grip. The relatively concave shape keeps your foot in place for a safe and secure hold.
Crankbrothers Stamp Flat BMX/MTB Bike Pedal has an aluminum body with a hammered Chromoly steel spindle. The large cutouts help to shed mud during the rainy season. The pedals are versatile and are suitable for many cycling conditions, including trail, cross country, and mountain regions. The large stamp is recommended for shoe numbers 10-15(US) and numbers 43-49(EU).
- It has a concave design: thanks to the concave design, which keeps the fell well locked in position. Interestingly, your feet will not shift until you intend them to.
- The product comes equipped with removable pins: the 10 adjustable pins on each side to allow you to customize the platform pins to your desired pattern.
- It features platform bearings that have an excellent grip. The bearings offer unbelievable traction even through water and mud.
- The product is suitable for enduro, downhill, and trailing biking because the pedal motion is smooth and extremely quiet. Besides, its aluminum body makes it durable and ideal biking pedals.
- They have a large platform
- Enduro bearing and seal system
- It has 9-hex pins for better traction
- Available in small and large
- Easy to install
- They are not ideal for off-road riding or aggressive mountain biking
- The pedals are pricey
3. Bell Plank 200 BMX Pedal
These are sports and outdoor pedals. You will be amazed by these BMX racing pedals because they are ideal for any weather condition, whether sunny or rainy. The pedals will allow you to enjoy your ride. Bell Plank 200 BMX Pedal is versatile and compatible with many BMX bikes. They work with various standard shoe sizes.
Bell Plank 200 BMX Pedal has a nylon resin body that is durable and sturdy. The pedal also provides a better grip, thanks to the traction pins. The full ball bearing ensures that the pedal serves you for an extended period.
- The Bell Plank 200 BMX Pedal works with standard sizes of pedals. This makes it great for replacing broken and worn-out pedals.
- Durability: the product is constructed from durable nylon resin with reflector strips on either side to improve visibility.
- The bike pedals are equipped with 2 adapters of ½” and 9/16″, allowing the pedal to fit most bikes. It also has full ball bearings to ensure smooth riding.
- The pedal is durable
- Patent pending
- Ideal for outdoor
- It is universal
- Flat platform
- The pedal has poor threading
4. Boruizhen Aluminium CNC Bike Platform Pedals
The pedals are stylish with an elegant design and come in five stunning colors such as white, red, green, black, and blue. The pedals are universal and cool BMX pedals. Boruizhen Aluminium CNC Bike Platform Pedals are ideal for MTB bicycles, mountain bicycles, road bicycles, junior bicycles, city bicycles, BMX pedals, and folding bike pedals. They are easy to install with a No. 15 wrenches.
The bike pedal is built with aluminum solid alloy material that is comfortable to step on. The double-sided 16 skid-proof nails are non-slip and extremely grippy. Experience a better pedaling efficiency, thanks to the large platform shape. Plus, the pedal features a high-quality in-mold sealed bearing design.
- Durability: the bike is made of high-quality aluminum alloy material with sealed bearings to prevent dust and water from entering the spindle and protect the pedal’s bearing to last longer.
- Durability and wear resistance: the product is constructed from high-strength aluminum alloy, providing great mechanical features and wear resistance. The pedals feature laser engraving to protect the original color of the bike pedal.
- Wide and non-slip platform: the pedal has 28 pcs hexagon head bolts to provide maximum friction and adhesion. Besides, the wide platform helps to maintain comfort and pedaling efficiency.
- Universal: The pedals can fit most bikes, including exercise bike, city bicycle, MTB bike, folding bike, junior bicycle, mountain bike, road bike, and mountain bike pedals.
- The pedal is versatile
- It is durable
- Easy to install
- Lightweight and sturdy
- Large platform shape
- Non-slip and wear-resistant
- The pedals are loosely threaded
5. Fyxation Gates BMX Platform Pedal
The Gates pedals are classic and built with the rider’s comfort in mind. They work better with many pedal straps on the market and are available in seven colors. Apart from being stylish, they are affordable and effective for everyone. You will always stay connected to the pedals since the molded-in grip studs help grip your feet firmly.
Fyxation Gates BMX Platform Pedal has a 9/16-inch Chromoly spindle that has loose bearings for easier maintenance. The comprehensive platform ensures you have better control and comfort that you need while riding. They are made of nylon that helps to handle high impact and for durability purposes.
- Quality and wide platform: the product features a wide platform to provide control and comfort while riding for miles. It also has nylon straps and a large platform that gives you great foot retention.
- Durable and lightweight: the pedals are made with high-quality nylon to ensure they last longer. Thanks to the lightweight design because it doesn’t add extra weight to your ride.
- Excellent grip: With this product, grip studs are placed strategically to offer more grip to your feet firmly. Also, the pedal’s texture adds more traction.
- Chromoly spindle: if the bearings wear and tear, you can disassemble the spindle and replace the bearings to make it new again.
- The bike pedal is durable
- It is lightweight
- Easy to install
- Wide platform
- Compatible with various foot retention systems and pedal straps
- It is affordable
- Easy to maintain
- Not ideal for kids bikes
- No reflectors
- It does not rotate freely
6. BIKEIN Mountain Bike Pedal MTB Pedals BMX Bicycle Flat Pedals
Are you looking for a light but firm bike pedal? No more search. BIKEIN Mountain Bike Pedal MTB Pedals BMX Bicycle Flat Pedals is what you have been searching for. It comes in various colors such as orange, black, blue, and red. The pedal is made from nylon fiber material that makes it long-lasting and sturdy.
The barrel-polished aluminum screws allow the pedal to be more reliable and decrease foot skidding. As a result, you end up having safer cycling and enjoy your riding. The pedal has eight pins on each side that offer suitable traction required for cycling. The Cr-Mo high strength spindle has a sealed bearing that helps you to withstand more.
- Large platform and 12 replaceable steel pins: the wide platform provides comfort, stability, and grip. The 12 replaceable traction pins on both sides provide maximum grip and control in all weather conditions.
- Easy to install: the product does not require special tools to install. Plus, the sealed bearings are serviceable to make the pedals achieve a durable and smooth-rolling pedal.
- It is made with durable and lightweight nylon fiber surfaces to deliver ultimate performance and more comfort. It also makes cycling safer and enjoyable while riding.
- Corrosion-resistant, wear-resistant, and high hardness: thanks to the surface anodizing treatment to keep the color bright and lasting. It also prevents aluminum alloy from being oxidized.
- Corrosion-resistant spindle
- Anti-slip locking spikes
- Ultra-light pedal
- Easy to install
- Reduces foot skidding
- More comfortable
- Not as durable as advertised
7. PDX D10’s Flat Wide Mountain Bike Pedals
These are high-end pedals that provide you with excellent performance. They have 20 steel pins on each side, making them ideal for aggressive riding. The pedals are ideal for cycling enthusiasts and are suitable for various weather conditions. The pins are removable for easy replacement. The bike pedals have a large contact surface area that offers excellent traction and grip for your safety. They are self-lubricant; hence do not need any maintenance.
The large sealed needle bearings make the pedals more reliable, low-resistance, and highly efficient. They are made from nylon composite polyamide material that ensures the pedals are durable, water-resistance, and low-wear. The CR-MO Steel has tensile strength and high impact, while the exclusive concave design allows easier foot replacement.
- The pedal is designed with a broad platform to maximize traction grip, performance, and safety. The concave spindle design gives you the confidence and safety to ride down hills and power-up the steep hill climb.
- It is equipped with 20 steel pins on each side to prevent your shoes from slipping. Additionally, the pins are serviceable with ease. They come with additional pins and nuts in case some get lost.
- The 9/16 spindle is perfect for most bike cranks, Downhill, Folding Bike, Trail, Endro, E-Bike, Fixed Gear, Cruiser, Hardtail, Cyclo-Cross.
- The PDX D10 pedals are lightweight as they weigh 412g. They are made from rugged nylon material that is durable and wear-resistant. Besides, the pedals are equipped with a Chromoly alloy spindle.
- Lightweight and durable
- They are affordable
- Superior grips
- Shock-proof and corrosion-resistant
- They are versatile
- High-end performance
- They have little flex
8. PUPOUSE Mountain Bike Pedals MTB Pedal for BMX
The pedals are heavy-duty and will allow you to enjoy your riding irrespective of the weather condition. You can cycle in the rain and climb mountains. The pedals are ideal for an extreme experience such as cross country, off-road, all-mountain, and trail. They are made from high-quality aluminum alloy material and steel spindle that make them durable, stable, strong abrasion, and corrosion-resistant.
The anti-skid nails on every side help to hold your feet in place for more safety. They also feature rigid spindle grips the bicycle firmly to prevent any disconnection. Enjoy long riding comfort and pedaling efficiency with the broader platform.
- Durability and stability: the pedals are made of high-quality aluminum alloy material and steel spindle, making them durable, stable, sturdy, corrosion and abrasion-resistant.
- Easy to install: thanks to the sealed bearings, which protect spindles from dust and water, which affects your regular use and causes other problems. You can enjoy pedaling in any weather.
- It features anti-skid nails on both sides to make it more secure and hold your shoes in place. You don’t need to worry about feet slipping off the pedals on muddy roads or when raining.
- Universal: the product is ideal for Electric bikes, Mountain bikes, Fixed gear Bikes, Hybrid Bikes, Cruiser Bikes, BMX, MTB, Cyclocross bikes, Urban bikes, Cruiser Bikes, Touring Cycle, Unicycles, Folding Bikes, Recumbent Bikes, and Track Bikes.
- They help to prevent skidding
- Offers great traction
- Durable and flexible
- Easy to install
- Lightweight and strong
- Wider platform
- The bearings are not good
9. FSZON Mountain Bike Pedals
FSZON Mountain Bike Pedals are universal. They are ideal for many bicycles with 9/16-inch spindles such as BMX, MTB, Cruiser Bike, Folding Bike, any Urban Commuter Bike, and Road Bike. The pedals are long-lasting, thanks to the high-strength aluminum alloy casting body.
The flat pedals have a wider surface area that helps to support your feet on each side. The strong spindles help you get a better grip to avoid any disconnection between your foot and the pedal. They are easy to install and maintain. The eight anti-skid pins on both sides enhance friction and prevent foot slippage.
- Durability: the bike pedals are constructed from sturdy and rigid aluminum alloy, which guarantees longevity and allows you to ride on rough roads without any damage.
- Safety: the product features sturdy spindles which provide strong grips to prevent a sudden disconnection. Moreover, the 8 anti-skid pins on both sides maximize the friction and reduce slippage.
- Stability: the FSZON Mountain Bike Pedal features a wide platform to provide stability and support your feet on both sides
- Universal: interestingly, these pedals are ideal for bikes with 9/16″ spindle-like Cruiser, MTB, Folding, BMX, and Urban Commuter Bikes.
- The pedals are versatile
- Ideal for most bikes
- They are stable
- Easy to install
- Prevent foot slippage
- Wider surface area
- Not much durable
10. 25NINE Bushido BMX Platform Pedals
These pedals are stylish and are built to give you better stability and performance. They have a thermoplastic body that is lightweight and durable. 25NINE Bushido comes in four colors for you to select from. The bike pedals are equipped with ten replaceable steel traction pins on each side that help your shoes stick with the pedal.
The low-profile design provides an abundance of ground clearance. With sealed bearings together with the CNC machined 9/16-inch axle makes the pedals long-lasting and smooth-rolling. They are also lightweight, with each pedal weighing 175 grams. The large platform gives you a better grip, stability, and added comfort.
- It is durable: the product is made from high-quality polypropylene material, making it strong and rigid for all weather conditions. It also has a durable Chromalloy axle which increases the longevity of the pedals.
- It features a thermoplastic body and 10 replaceable metal pins on both sides. These features provide great grip, which prevents shoe slipping. You can replace the metal pins easily in case of loss of some.
- Wide platform: It has a larger pedaling area to allow your shoes to stick hence providing maximum grip while riding. Plus, the sealed bearings make the pedal last longer and ensure smooth pedaling.
- The bike pedals are durable and lightweight
- They offer superior grip
- Thermoplastic body
- Provide better performance
- They are a bit expensive
Buying Guide for Best BMX Pedals
When it comes to buying a BMX pedal can be difficult, especially with so many features to look out for including comfort, weight, surface area, color, and more. You will need a comfortable bike pedal that has the best performance since these bikes are mostly used for off-road racing and all-weather riding.
Here are some of the features to consider when purchasing a BMX pedal:
In terms of durability, the material used to construct the pedals should help it to last long. You should consider pedals made from stainless steel, nylon, fiberglass, or aluminum alloy. Since pedals are constantly pushed under your feet and the interfaces that control riding, they need to be durable.
You should keep the rider’s safety in mind by ensuring you choose a BMX bike with a great grip. If you buy pedals with poor grips, your feet will likely slip if you pedal faster or ride when it is raining. Pedals come with various features that provide a strong grip, including studs, wide platform, anti-skid, among others.
- Pedal platform
BMX bike pedals come in different shapes and sizes. If you want a bike for racing, then consider lightweight alloy pedals. You should also look for pedals with a wide platform and maximum foot space.
- Pins and cartridges
The pins provide excellent grip while you are riding. They grip your feet as you ride hence increasing power into speed efficiently. You should also check if the pedals have cartridges to prevent water and dust from entering; therefore, no noise and other issues. Besides, you need to lubricate the cartridges for a smooth riding experience.
It is also essential to choose bike pedals that require no or minimum maintenance from time to time. For instance, grease is enough to keep the pedals working fantastically.
- Adjustable tension
Last and not least, choose pedals with adjustable tension. If you are a beginner, you can consider clipless pedals because you can use low tension for easier management and release as you improve your riding skills.
How do you put on BMX pedals?
Installing BMX pedals is a simple process if you are equipped with the right tool to prevent making the bike useless. It is crucial to master this process if you regularly travel with bikes and frequently change pedals.
You will need:
- A pedal wrench or spanner
- 8mm or 6mm Allen Key
- 15mm wrench or spanner
Here are the steps involved:
Step 1: Clean the threads and crank interior
Before installing the pedals, ensure you clean the threads on the pedals and the crank’s interior. Make sure you remove any grime, dirt, and moisture with a soft fabric before greasing.
Step 2: Apply some lubricant.
Next, apply some lubricant or grease onto the pedal and crank arms threads. It will ensure that the pedal will not get locked into a position and have difficulties removing it in the future. Plus, it will be easier to tighten the pedal into place.
Step 3: locate the “L” and “R” letters on each pedal.
Choose the appropriate pedal and install it into the right crank arm by hand turning the pedal axle to the bike’s front. In case it doesn’t start, don’t force it because you may be installing the right pedal on the left and vice versa. Place the pedal into the crank arm at a 90° angle and thread it into position.
Step 4: Tighten
Use your hands to thread both pedals into the crank arms and use an Allen key to tighten the pedal. For the drive side, you should turn it clockwise and anticlockwise for the non-drive side. You should keep rotating the tool until the pedal tightens according to the manufacturer’s specific torque level. If there are no specifications, turn about 1/8 of the rotation until you feel the resistance to secure the pedals properly.
How do you take BMX pedals off?
Taking off your BMX pedals is easy as long as you have the right tools needed. Here are the steps to follow when removing a pedal:
Step 1: Lubricant the pedals
The first thing you need to do is to lubricant the pedals, especially if you haven’t removed them for a long time. It will help to loosen any debris and remove them with ease. Besides, let the water dispersant settle for 5 minutes to dissolve the gunk.
Step 2: Turn the left pedal spindle clockwise and right one anti-clockwise
When removing the left pedal, you need to turn it clockwise because it is reverse-threaded. It should face the crank arm. On the other hand, the right side pedal should be turned anti-clockwise to loosen the pedal.
Step 3: Insert an Allen Key
Use an Allen key into the pedal axle non-drive side from the pedal to loosen it. Turn the crank arm to a 3’oclock position.
Step 4: place a spanner on a flat surface.
Set the spanner between the pedal body and crank arm and push your foot down onto the spanner while holding the brakes. Rotate anti-clockwise and loosen the pedal easily. Continue rotating the spanner anti-clockwise until it is detached.
Step 5: turn the bike around
When removing the opposite side, turn the bike around and rotate the crank arm to the 9 o’clock position. Place the spanner in line with the arm and press it down using your foot. This will make the spanner rotate clockwise and loosen the pedal.
Is it easy to replace bike BMX pedals?
Yes! It is easy to replace the BMX pedals. After riding for a while, especially the BMX plastic pedals, they wear out and need replacement. You require only a wrench or an Allen key and ensure you turn the wrench in the right direction.
Why does my BMX click when I pedal?
The most common problem associated with bike clicking while pedaling is the chain. In most cases, the chainring teeth are weary, and the click wants to grasp the chain. What you need to do is to replace the chain with a new one.
How do you change the pedals on a BMX bike?
Changing the pedals on a BMX bike is easy, but you need to understand the concept well. It is essential to note that pedal threads differ from the right side to the left side. They are usually labeled R and L for the right and left side, respectively. The following steps will help you change your pedal with ease?
- Place the wrench and crank arm at a 90-degree angle or less while mounting your bike on a repair stand.
- Assuming you are removing the right side pedal, turn the wrench in the counterclockwise direction. The left pedal is released by turning the wrench in the clockwise direction.
- Apply grease on the new pedals before installing them. Check the R and L marking on the wrench flats. The right threaded pedal is installed on the right crank while the left threaded pedal on the left crank.
- Screw the right pedal by turning the wrench clockwise and the left pedal on the counter-clockwise.
- Tighten each pedal until it is fully installed.
How do I stop my BMX bike pedals from creaking?
Anytime you sense any creaks, you must examine the seat post clamps bolts. Uninstall them and lubricate them. Then, put them back; the grease will help eliminate these irritating creaks. If there are rusty bolts, replace them.
Why do my BMX pedals Cranks Creek?
The leading cause of cranks creaks the spindle being so loose. You need to take out the crank bolts and grease the threads and the bolt head. Reinstall them and ensure you properly tighten the bolts.
BMX pedals offer ideal comfort and stability while riding. However, you need to know why you require specific pedals. For instance, if you want more efficiency and control, get clipless pedals as they will firmly connect your shoes to the pedals. BMX flat pedals are the best if you need your foot off the pedal fast.
It is also significant to put into consideration the type of riding you do. Whether cross country, off-road, all-mountain, or trail. This will help you determine the type of BMX pedal to buy. Also, consider when you do cycling. Do you ride your bike daily or on weekends? If it’s daily, look for heavy-duty pedals. The above are among the best BMX pedals on the market.