Whether you are a novice cyclist or an amateur, the best pedal with a foot clip helps many. First, it enables you to maximize the cycling power to attain the required speed even in steep terrain. Secondly, it prevents the feet from skidding off the pedal, ensuring your strides are efficient. When cycling on a muddy surface, the foot clip is an added advantage as it guarantees the flexibility you need to get the job done.
However, not all clip pedals are the same. If it is your first time buying, the chances are that you may land on something that does not meet your expectations. First, think about the purpose of your bike and the intended surface it should tread. Also, the clip pedal should augur well with your shoe choice while ensuring that the bike remains easy to control.
If your journey demands getting off the bike frequently, you may want a pedal that is easy to get on and off. Here, we are going to show you ten premium pedals that stand out in the market.
Top Picks : 5 Best Toe Clip Pedals
Top 10 Best Toe Clip Pedals- Reviews 2021
1. Venzo Fitness Exercise Spin Bike Compatible with Shimano SPD Pedals
Venzo fitness exercise tops the lists of premium foot clip pedals to buy, and it perks the features that most people look for. To start with, this pedal clip is versatile; it works best on all trainer or exercise bikes—either indoors or outdoors. It comes with an extra heavy-duty aluminum body with a sealed bearing to keep the feet intact. The axle measures 9/16″ and can be expanded to fit any bike.
Treading any type of terrain is a buzz since this pedal is ripe with a body that transfers energy excellently for the needed efficiency. The platform measures 105 x 78 mm—relatively large for stability when using any casual shoe. Also, this pedal is compatible with the Shimano SPD pedals, while the cleats are adjustable to maximize grip.
- Dual function: the product offers either riding with compatible cleat shoes for necessary power transfer to make riding efficient or with casual shoes for recreational cycling.
- Built quality: the pedals are constructed of Aluminum, and the oversized axles are made of CNC machined steel, making them more durable and sturdy.
- Compatibility: the bike pedals are fully compatible with any Shimano SPD pedal system. You can use SPD cleats on these pedals or use these cleats on SPD pedals.
- They have adjustable tension: the pedals have screws on the sides that allow you to adjust the cleats’ tension. This makes the pedals fit to be used by almost everyone.
- Grip and stability: each pedal has a large surface with a cleat to maximize grip and a toe-clip for better stability. Moreover, the lubricated sealed bearing makes riding smooth.
- A relatively large platform makes for the best stability
- The aluminum body is rust free and durable
- It weighs only 744g for each pair for added efficiency
- Cleats easy to adjust using the side tensioning screw.
- The SPD added to the bodyweight makes this pair heavier.
2. Outgeek 1 Pair Bike Pedal Straps
When the comfort meets efficiency, Outgeek 1 Pair Pedal Straps are what you get. Well, these are not your regular pedal clips; instead, they come as a pair of nylon strands that fasten your foot to the pedal. While their simplicity may make them look mediocre, this is not the case. The material is a premium-grade fabric tested to last longer and super-resistant to wear and tear. Neither do they fade under exposure to UV light or with frequent wash cycles.
Each pedal strap measures 18.5 inches, but you can adjust the lengths to fit any shoe of your choice. The pair is also compatible with your bike type or model, from the road bike, BMX, Mountain Bike, to Fixed Gears. If you are a beginner in cycling, you may want to land on lightweight pads that won’t weigh you down, and here they are.
- Adjustable straps: the pedals have a length of 18.5″ that allows you to adjust it based on the foot and shoe size.
- It is ideal for both adults and youths: although the pedal strap is fit for adults, it can also be installed on your kid’s bike and will not cause any harm.
- Lightweight and long-lasting: the product is made of nylon, making it wear resistance to last longer. Its lightweight design makes it easy to adapt to the product,
- Universal: the pedal strap can fit in almost all BMX, road bikes, and mountain bikes with fixed gear. The straps can handle many activities and harsh environments with ease.
- Durable for years of use
- Feel comfortable against the shoe fabric and even foot
- Ideal for any bike
- Provide good learning curves for novice cyclists
- When riding, it is a bit hard to get the foot back into the loop.
3. YBEKI SPD Pedals – Hybrid Pedal with Toe Clip and Straps
Take your cycling skills a notch higher by splurging on multifunctional YBEKI SPD Hybrid Pedals with Toe clips. Well, unlike most products in the market, this pedal combines both straps and toe clips. With it, you’ve got the option of using the clip, strap, or both to meet whatever suits your needs. Under regular rides, you can as well remove the clip to remain with the lightweight straps.
The price tag for this product is more of a steal when you consider its three functions. Even better, the body is made of aluminum alloy, steel, and spring steel for years of use. The surface is nickel plated to prevent rusting. The floor measures 90 x 90 x 23 mm and is compatible with spin bikes and all types of indoor cycles. Overall, it weighs 765g with the clip intact, but you can reduce the weight by eliminating the clips or straps.
- Non-slip design: each pedal surface is made of TPR rubber to ensure maximum grip and prevent the feet from slipping off quickly. Plus, the nylon straps and toe-clips offer more control and stability of the feet.
- It comes equipped with both SPD side and Flat side: the SPD side is where you can use the same cleat used on the Shimona pedal. On the other hand, the flat side is a common platform that does not require any cleat-compatible shoe.
- Durable and long-lasting: these pedals are constructed from Aluminum alloy, while the surface is made of black electrophoresis, making it durable. Since the pedals are dust and water-proof, they can last longer.
- Easy installation: the left pedal is labeled “L,” and the right pedal has an “R” label, making the installation process easier. It requires a 15 mm wrench, and it is pretty straightforward.
- Versatile for use on any indoor bike
- The black coating makes for an aesthetically appealing surface
- Metallic body and springs are durable for longevity
- The steel spring makes it expandable
- They are a bit squeaky and noisy
4. Leadrise1 Pair Nylon Cycling MTB Road Mountain Bike
It is not a must that the pedal must be a metal or nylon body to guarantee the needed efficiency level; this plastic pair will surprise you. The body that holds the shoes to the pedal is exclusively plastic, while the lock is made of nylon straps. This way, you can fit in your shoes on the pedal and clip them tightly in place using the notch for high-end safety.
The nylon comes with a steel clip at the middle that you can use to manipulate its length. By simply unscrewing the metal, the nylon will loosen, allowing you to pull any of its sides when increasing the length. The same case applies whenever you want to unlock your shoe clip at the end of the journey. The hollow design, coupled with an elevated platform, allows for training shoes and any shoe with buckle tape to fit perfectly inside. Plus, it works for any bike.
- Sturdy and durable: the pedal toe clips are made of plastic, while the straps are constructed from nylon which guarantees the product to last longer. Moreover, its hollow design and material make it lightweight hence no extra effort while pedaling.
- It features a wide and broad platform: this allows you to fit comfortably when wearing your training shoes. Also, the strong buckle tape can hold the feet and shoes firmly.
- The nylon straps and grip on the surface keep your feet positioned just right on the pedals. You are assured of excellent control while riding the bike.
- Versatile for use both indoor and outdoor
- The plastic body makes it even more lightweight
- It comes with clips to fasten the nylons together
- Easier to use with any cycling shoe
- With bigger fits, the toe area can be a bit cramped.
5. AbraFit 9/16-Inch Premium Quality Bicycle Pedals with Toe Clips and Straps
If you are looking for a pedal that doubles as a clip, then AbraFit has you covered. First, the preinstalled body comes with a bolt at one end that you can use to fit it on any bicycle. Overall, the installation process should take you less than 10 minutes. The toe clip is a resin cage that houses the toe, protecting you from any cycling injuries.
The cage is held in place with a nut in the front and a nylon strap at the back. While you may not remove the front fitting, the straps come with a removable nickel clip. By unsnapping the straps, you can remove the cage and adjust the fit according to your shoe size. More important, the pedals feature a durable metal body, making them perfect for years of use.
- Durability: the pedal clips are made of an aluminum alloy body and sturdy resign cage making it last longer and endure harsh weather.
- Easy to install: the installation process is simple. Interestingly you can preinstall the toe clips, and straps can be removed and reinstalled again based on your needs and is done efficiently.
- Maximum stability: the toe clips feature nylon straps that offer enhanced stability. In addition the free pair of straps allows you to change them while riding on the mountain.
- Ideal for any type of bike
- The cage is removable for added efficiency
- The two nylon fabrics fasten the shoes for snug-fit
- Ideal for protecting the toes against any accident
- It does not come with a foot placement guide when buying.
6. Zonkie Bike Pedals with Toe Clip and Strap
Abrafit and Zonkie share a lot in common; they all come with preinstalled bodies, cages, and two nylon straps. However, unlike Abrafit, whose cage is a resin, Zonkie features a one-piece PP alloy for the cage and the body. This feature, added to its solid black appeal, makes it your go-to when looking for a durable pedal to give any person. This pedal measures 98 x 118 x 92 mm and perfectly fits any standard bike using a 9/16 inch bolt.
Zonkie uses nylon straps with a steel clip to fasten the cycling shoe into place. Since the PP alloy is expandable, you can use the two nylon straps to adjust its fit, depending on the size of the shoe you are using. If you ride mountain bikes, folding bikes, road bikes, or regular home bikes, you may want a pedal that is efficient enough, and Zonkie is your best choice.
- Thread fit: the pedal clips feature thread fit to support the pedals and prevent them from falling off regardless of the workout intensity.
- It features a reflective strip on the pedals. This feature ensures you are visible at night or in foggy conditions.
- Adjustable straps: the pedals come with toe clips and straps, which are adjustable to ensure that your feet can be perfectly positioned.
- Durable and safe: the pedal features a unique anti-collision design to protect your feet from any injury. They are constructed of alloy pp with a CR-Mo axle making them last longer.
- Ideal for any type of bike
- Easy to clean and maintain
- The body does not rust or chip easily
- The bold black color makes for an excellent appeal
- The pedal is ½” narrower compared to the standard one.
7. EVO Strapless Toe Clips
If you want something unique that can make you stand out, then the EVO Double Quick Strapless pad has your back. This pedal takes the need for minimalism a notch higher by eliminating both the straps and clip, only to remain as a hood. Not only will this product protect your toes from accidents, especially when cycling on rocky sites, but also steady your feet for much-needed stability. It works with any bike and fits well over any shoe, making it versatile for use under any circumstance.
Optimize the position and stability of your feet using these clips for a more leisurely ride. The premium-grade resin used to make the body withstands both wear and tear while ensuring a slip-free ride. Additionally, since no fastening tool holds the feet into place, these clips make it easy to get on and off the bike. You can count on them when navigating busy streets and high-traffic urban areas.
- Easy to install: the installation process is easy and straightforward giving you a chance to do it yourself with the help of an installation guide. ‘
- It features a lightweight design: this design prevents any extra weight that can inconvenience your riding. You won’t slow you down or cause you to apply more force when riding in a harsh environment.
- Versatility: the pedals are fit on most of the bikes, including trailblazing, cruisers, road bikes, comfort bikes, mountain bikes, youth bikes, e-bikes, among others.
- Strapless toe clip: the pedals are strapless, making it an excellent option for riders who like moving their feet off their pedals when riding in a corner or when you want to stop frequently.
- Versatile for use over any type of bike
- Cheaper price tag compared to most variants in the same caliber
- Resin body is durable for years of use
- Easy to wash and maintain
- It does not come with instructions on the proper way to install it on pedals.
8. Esnow 1 Pair Toe Clips with Strap Belts Cycling MTB Road Mountain
Unlock your mountain cycling skills using Esnow 1 pair of toe clips with strap belts for cycling. This clip features a plastic body with pedal straps that are made with high-quality nylon. The plastic body is elastic for a perfect fit, while the nylon strap comes with a nickel snap that you can unsnap to change its length. To meet the needs of adult and kid users, the manufacturer also makes several sizes fit. You will not miss a size that perfectly matches your shoe number.
Once you’ve locked the shoe in place, this pair will ensure a slip-free ride, even on rocky surfaces. It makes a great partner when looking for a clip that fits into bikes with a removable reflector or hole for installing the bolts and nuts. Also, the pair works well for any cycle with fixed gears, both indoors and outdoors.
- Unique fittings: the grip and control features will make your time and experience on the bikes more valuable and efficient. This makes it a great bike on the road.
- Adjustable foot strap: the pedal straps are highly adjustable to ensure the pedal strap can fit different foot sizes. You can adjust the foot strap to various family members since it is easier.
- Removable reflector: since the reflector is removable, you can install or remove it when you don’t want it. Besides, this makes an ideal gift for anyone interested in riding bikes.
- The nylon straps are ideal for a snug fit
- The black plastic hood and matching nylon straps are good looking
- Works for both mountain and fixed-gear bikes
- Easy to install with few bolts and nuts
- Not ideal for thick or fat foot
9. UFANME Bike Pedals, Fitness Exercise Spin Bike with Toe Clips Cage and Straps
UFANME combines three features into one roof–pedals, clips, and straps, making it even more efficient. The clip is made of durable resin, the pedal is made of durable alloy, and the straps feature premium-grade nylon. All these materials, when combined, guarantee a durable pair for years of use. UFANME forms a hood over your toes, stabilizing your feet on the pedal while ensuring a smooth, slip-free ride. That’s not all; once fastened into place, this pair will give you excellent control of your ride, even in rugged areas.
The pedal measures 9.5x 6.4x 13 cm long and comes with a 9/16 inch spindle for use on your standard bike, mountain bike, and fixed-gear. It comes with grips at the top of the pedal, where the shoe rests, to hold your feet into place. Each pair weighs 13.12 ounces; however, you can reduce this weight by removing the cage and straps at your wish.
- Adjustable toe clip: the pedal comes equipped with an adjustable toe clip position. The maximum adjustment is about 15mm, giving riders’ comfortable riding position no matter the foot size.
- Safety: the product features anti-slip nails on both pedal sides to hold the feet on the pedal, and you will not worry about feet slipping off the pedal even on muddy and rugged roads.
- Easy installation: the pedals come marked “R” or “L” to ensure easy installation since you install on the required side without any challenge.
- It comes with a cheaper price tag
- Ideal for use with any bike
- It comes with a sizeable pedal floor for stability
- Metal grips on the pedal work best with any shoe
- The toe box is not adjustable at the front
10. ONIPAX Outdoor Bike Pedal Straps Pedal Toe Clips Straps
ONIPAX pushed for what a fashionable pedal could be by introducing the ONIPAX Bike Straps for outdoor cycling. Just like its functions state, this is your ideal choice of a strap for vacation and show-off. Its design and cozy aesthetics make it suitable for top-of-the-edge Fixed-gears, BMXs, MTB, and Road bikes. Since it comes in various colors, you can freely customize the clip to match your personality style. The bright colors also attract attention, acting as a point of focus as you roam around.
Not to forget, these straps come in different size fits to match your preferred shoe size. Once fastened around the shoe, the premium-grade nylon body fits and holds the shoe snugly, making sure it doesn’t slip. They are also easy to slip off at the end of the journey.
- Durable: the pedals are made from high-quality materials to prevent your feet from slipping off. It also ensures that they don’t wear suddenly due to poor material.
- Adjustable straps: the straps can be adjusted based on feet and shoe sizes. Its maximum length is 13″ and width is 2.3″, making it wide and large.
- Easy to install: the left and right sides of the straps are marked “L” and “R”; hence you will not have any challenge while installing them. The installation process is easy and straightforward.
- Cheaper compared to most clips
- Keep their excellent aesthetics even in high speed
- Versatile for use with any type of bike
- The straps adjust in length to accommodate any fit
- Not easy to fit in when riding
Factors to consider when buying a Toe clip
It may seem like a simple tool with no many parts, and there are no many features to look for when buying. However, you need to keep in mind the following features when purchasing toe clips.
- Material: You must check the quality of the clips before purchasing. For the best pedal clips, choose one with steel bolts, an aluminum body, and nylon straps. It will guarantee you longevity.
- Hardware: you should consider pedals that come equipped with nuts and bolts. They will save you the additional cost and ensure that you have the best set that suits your clips best.
- Comfort: Keep in mind the comfort of the rider while pedaling the bike. Consider features such as lightweight to ensure that no added weight will interfere with your performance. Moreover, a wide platform and good grip on the surface will prevent your feet from slipping off in harsh conditions. These features provide you maximum comfort on your bike.
- Versatility: unlike cleats designed for specific bikes, the toe clips are made to fit a variety of bikes. The multiple cycles you can install these toe clips, the better because you can work out as you wish without limit.
- Adjustable strap: it is essential to choose a product with an adjustable strap since different people have different feet and shoe sizes. This feature will offer a comfortable fit for other people.
- Straps: if you want clips that you can quickly get on and off, then go for the strapless clip. However, you can consider straps to assure you more safety, especially with spinning. You should buy a toe clip with a strap for your riding class.
- Compatibility: another essential feature to consider is compatibility. You should be able to use different toe clips on other bikes.
- Price: Make sure you purchase a toe clip within your budget while considering other features. Buy comfortable clips that are worth the price. Don’t compromise quality for a price if you don’t want to keep buying new ones after a short time.
How do Toe Clips Work with Bike Pedals?
- The toe clip creates a secure connection between your shoes and pedals hence making riding more accessible.
- The pedal clips enhance your efficiency because you can sweep back and pull up during the rotation.
- Pedals clips will help you to feel more confident while on your bike since you are less likely to slip off your pedal or shift your weight around.
- It also allows you to ride faster as pedals and cranks become an extension of your body. You will feel less fatigue in the legs because the pedal stroke is smoother.
- You don’t have to snag debris on the trail or sticks between the pedal and your shoes with the pedal clips.
- When pedaling slowly on steep terrain or off-road, the toe clips allow you to pull up on the pedals to balance the power transfers throughout the stroke and maintain your traction and speed.
- When riding a bike with clips, you can feel your tires’ grip and terrain through the feet and push the weight down through the pedals. You require small adjustments of your body weight to aid in steering and controlling your bike.
- When you are on a steep pedaling, and you are a beginner, the clips allow you to slow down slightly to get your wheel off the ground.
- The pedal clips feature float and tension adjustment. The float feature ensures the pedal rotates hence protecting your feet from injury from being locked in the same position. The tension adjustment controls how easy or hard to get in and out of the pedal.
- Your feet are not moved around on the pedal, even on rough and rugged roads.
- The pedal clips help you set the seat height at an accuracy degree to enhance your pedaling comfort and efficiency.
- Toe clip allows you to maintain a higher power rate even after a short burst of power.
How do you Attach Toe Clips to Pedals?
If you have a pair of clips or planning to purchase one, these steps will help you attach without any challenge.
Step 1: place the bike in a reclining position.
When the bike is placed in a reclining position, you will see the bolts at the front of the pedal frame. If the bike’s reflector is placed where the pedal clips should be clipped in, you need to remove it and put it somewhere. Remove the bolts to create space for screwing in the clips.
Step 2: put the toe clip to the created hole.
Make sure the pedal clip is adjacent to the hole to ensure it matches that of the pedal. The clip should face the front of the bike so that its rear can fit the shoe.
Step 3: screw the bolts.
Next, screw in the bolts into the toe clip and the pedal hole; when it is well-fitted, use an Allen key to tighten the bolts. Fix the nuts, and you will be ready to use them.
Step 4: Repeat the process
Repeat the procedure to screw in the remaining toe clip.
Step 5: Try fitting your foot into the clip.
If it fits perfectly while you are on the bike, then the installation process is successful. However, if it doesn’t work, repeat the process to correct any issue that could have occurred.
What are toe clips for bikes?
Also called toe cages, toe clips for bikes refer to small frames often attached on the pedal’s front to hold the shoe into place. They surround the toe, preventing skidding or sliding when cycling.
Do mountain bikers use toe clip pedals?
Yes, there are specific toe clips that are made for mountain cycling. However, cycling on the mountain requires a lot of maneuverability and muscle memory. If you are not familiar with cycling with toe clips, it’s only better not to use them to avoid accidents.
Can you ride toe clipless pedals with regular shoes?
Yes, you can ride your clipless pedal with regular shoes. Only that, your feet will frequently skid, especially if your pedal has no SPD mount. To stay safe, normalize riding with a clipped pedal to guarantee the best level of bike control.
What is the difference between toe clipless and SPD pedals?
Clipless pedals consist of unique pedals and cleats, while SPD pedals are special types of clipless pedals that consist of recessed cleats to match specific shoe soles.
Will toe clipless pedals improve speed?
Your speed when using clipless pedals partly depends on the individual efforts you invest forth and your type of shoe. Unlike clipped pedals, clipless pedals will increase your speed by allowing complete power transfer for added efficiency and invariability.
Your ride should be fun while keeping accidents at bay. Up to this point, you’ve learned about the best toe clip pedals and critical features to look out for when buying. In case you are still undecided, here are three key picks to guide you further.
If you are looking for a simple strap to match your style, ONIPAX has you covered. But if you hunt for a product that doubles as a hood for toe, pedal, and strap, AbraFit or Zonkie has the best value for your buck. On the other hand, EVO Strapless is a top choice when using for a clip not too complicated with a sleek design.
Happy shopping ahead!